Tuesday, November 13, 2007

II. Post B

Dr. Sacks,
Although I have only read the first chapter of your book Musicophilia, I find myself captivated by your technical style of writing and the subject matter of which you explain. As a friend to the Neuroscience community, (My dad is an epileptologist) I also find your use of vocabulary involving locations of parts of the Brain and other terminology quite helpful. It also makes the book seem fun to me, because I can look at it and understand what is going on, while someone who has no idea what a Grand Mal seizure would have no idea what you're talking about. It almost makes me feel like an insider. Your book makes me wonder if music is a thing only received by mammals, or even if humans are the only organisms in existence who's brains are so affected by it. Like you said in the introduction, what if an alien race came to inspect our species saw our music merely as a jumble of sounds with no particular meaning. Your book has brought considerable interest and excitement to me, so thanks.

2 comments:

Blake said...

Ken,
your book seems very interesting. It is so cool that your dad is an epileptologist. That must help you with your book tremendously. I also liked your bit on music and how aliens and animals might not understand it. Did you know that there is a frequency that if played long enough in front of humans can make them poop?

Dan said...

One of my parents is reading Musicophilia, and now I want to read it sometime (maybe on the side of A Thousand Splendid Suns). I heard that in some cases, brain damage worsened people's musical abilities and in other's it did the opposite.
-and to Blake about the brown frequency-I wonder if there is a website that plays it....