Wednesday, November 28, 2007

II. Post 3B

This post is all about my overall thoughts on Musicophilia so far. Before reading the first thirty pages of the book, I thought that I had a relatively knowledgable concept of Musicophilia. Although I knew music had strange relationships between man and memory, I never thought of music as something that animals may have no reaction to. To other animals, and to a hypothetical alien race, their occurance in hearing our pop music would result in dumbfounded misbelief and curiousity about how our race could have respect for such a random grouping of sounds. I also had no idea aout the relationship between music and seizures, specifically that certain types of music can iduce seizures in various people and that they can have a musical hallucenation. Musical memory is one of the few wonders involving Musicophilia that I had any idea about before reading the book and I have learned much about it aswell. I find the relationship between a certain person and their own ability to memorize music quite stunning. It seems amazing to me that one person might memorize a song in one sittingm while another on the opposite wide of the spectrum would have to listen to it for days. I have learned a loot about music and the brain through this book and I plan to learn a lot more.

No comments: