Tuesday, November 20, 2007

II. Post 2B

Dear Dr. Sacks,
I am very curious about your field of medicine. It seems from you book that many of your patients have seizures relating to or induced by music. Since that is the subject of your book, I am curious how your own patients feel after surgery if they get rid of their epilepsy, but sacrifice a gift they may have had for music. Are their seizures so bad that they would be willing to sacrifice anything to get rid of them? I have never had one myself, so I cannot understand the depth and pain involving such an encounter. However, I am curious as to how your patients feel about losing such an ability. On a broader scale, I'm sure that surgical removal of a tumer in a different lobe of the brain would result in the loss of a different function, only based on the lobe which was partially lost or affected. Is epilepsy so uncomfortable and dangerous that people would be willing to sacrifice memories, or even the ability to speak just to get rid of the disease?
Thanks

No comments: