Monday, November 19, 2007

II. Post 2A

Vocabulary:

1) evocative- tending to cause something (Pg. 19)

2) astrocytoma- a malignant tumor filled with astrocytes- which are star shaped cells of nervous tissue (Pg. 20)

Figurative Language:

1) "He groped for the controls of the device to turn the music off. 'Then,' He says, 'I went out." This is a use of irony because while attempting to cease the music coming from the player, he ended up worsening his seizure which was evoked by it.

2-3) I have had the same problem again- I am putting more effort into finding figurative language than in my last outside reading, have a broader subject of types of figurative language, and still have found only one. AAAAAAAAAARRGGHH!!! I will try to compensate in other aspects of my posting.

Quote:

"If the band started playing,' Mrs. N. said, "I would run out.... I had half a minute or less to get away." This quotation, like the last posting, explains the fear someone diagnosed with epilepsy may have of a certain type of music which provokes their seizure. Obviously, this is an important point in the book because the idea of Musicophobia has been brought up more that once.

Emerging Theme:

The theme that music is mankind's most unnoticed, sometimes underdeveloped, and most subconscious attribute has emerged in Sacks' novel. Music is the most basic of human functions, and has greater connections to our lives than the average human realizes.

1 comment:

volhagen said...

Thats a very nice one sentence theme. I'm just giving you a hard time, its sounds very deep.